"Which branch of engineering is the best "- is often a hot topic amongst students like you planning their next academic step. With so many options to choose from, selecting the one which works for you the best, can indeed be difficult.
While each engineering field has its own perks, mechanical engineering is often the one preferred by most individuals across the country. In fact, a report published on The Times of India states that the proportion of students selecting mechanical engineering has increased.
What is Mechanical Engineering All About?
So, what is this branch all about and why do so many students prefer it? In simple terms, mechanical engineering is a discipline that has adopted the principles of engineering, physics and materials science to design, analyze, manufacture and maintain mechanical systems. From making the Bagger 288 (Excavator 288), the world's largest land vehicle to designing the Nano Engine that works on a single atom, this discipline has made a significant impact in the global industry.
Now that you have a basic understanding of this branch, let's understand why it is so important. Without this type of engineering, we would not have the necessities such as engines, generators, refrigerators, elevators or even air conditioning. Without realizing, we use something that has been mechanically engineered almost daily. Mechanical engineering enables us to do many activities with ease and provides practical technologies to our modern society.
Interested in learning more about the most real branch of engineering? Scroll down to understand:
- What does mechanical engineer do?
- Scope of mechanical engineering
- Qualification to pursue Mechanical engineering
- Degrees and Specialties
- Career Advancement Opportunities
- Is Mechanical Engineering Right for You?
- How to find top Mechanical Engineering Course & College in India
- Mechanical engineering curriculum & syllabus
- Admission process for Mechanical Engineering (respective Geo location)
- Fee structure for Mechanical Engineering
- Why Choose AVIT Engineering College?
Let’s get started.
What does a Mechanical engineer do?
When it comes to the roles and responsibilities, a mechanical engineer can be called as a multi-faceted employee. A few of the prominent responsibilities are:
- Enhancing the performance of mechanical components
- Producing and implementing designs and test procedures
- Testing, evaluating, modifying and re-testing products
- Guiding and offering technical advice to the team
- Maintaining and remodeling equipment to ensure its safety, reliability and efficiency
- Designing industrial processing systems
- Consulting technical personnel to prepare designs or operational plans
Of course, these responsibilities might differ depending on your job profile and the company you are working for. A few of the top job profiles in this engineering stream, you can pursue are:
- Industrial Engineer
- Mechanical Engineering Technician
- Robotic engineer
- Materials Engineer
- Petroleum Engineer
- Aerospace Engineer
- CAD Technician
- Control and instrumentation Engineer
- Maintenance engineer
What is the scope in Mechanical engineering?
As mentioned earlier, students studying in mechanical colleges in India deal with anything and everything that movies; right from the components of a car to the human body. Considerably its ever-growing impact and importance in the industry, the scope is only going to grow by the day.
What helped invent the first steam engine in 1698, a heated factory in 1791, the telephone in 1876 to a diesel train in 1955 and an Aeroboat in 2014, mechanical engineering has left us appalled every century. And, it is still continuing to do so with the rapid growth in technology and automation. Thanks to this, the mechanical engineering job prospects and industry types have evolved as well.
Top industry types for mechanical engineering students include:
- Scientific research and development services
- Computer and electronic product manufacturing
- Architectural, engineering, and related services
- Transportation equipment manufacturing
- Machinery manufacturing
Now, let us understand what does it take to be a mechanical engineer.
What is the required qualification for Mechanical engineering?
To pursue a mechanical engineering course from one of the top colleges in India, you need
to meet the eligibility criteria.
Eligibility Requirements for B.E. Mechanical Engineering:
Students who have completed 10+2 in science stream with physics, chemistry and mathematics subjects from a recognized board can apply for B.E. Mechanical Engineering course. However, these criteria differ from college to college. So ensure you read it on their website before applying.
What is the salary of a Mechanical engineer?
“How much will I earn?” is another favourite question of students across the country. According to Glassdoor, the average base pay for graduates is ₹460,640/yr as of January 2020. This again depends on your knowledge, skills, job profile, location, and company. For example, a fresher Automotive Engineer might earn ₹557,890/yr, whereas an Aerospace Engineer can make ₹6,00,000/yr.
Degrees and Specialties
If you are someone who has just completed their 12th std, you can opt for a four-year bachelor’s program, i.e. B.E. Mechanical Engineering. Whereas after your graduation, you can pursue a two-year master’s degree from renowned universities, followed by a Ph.D. While pursuing your bachelor’s/ master’s program, you can choose from the following specializations:
- Biomechanics Engineering / Biomaterial
- Combustion / IC Engine modelling (Experimental, Computational)
- Controls, Robotics
- Dynamics, Controls & Vibrations
- Energy / Heat & Mass transfer / Thermal Science
- Fluid Mechanics / Computational Fluid Mechanics
- Materials / MEMS / NANO - 3D Printing
- Solid Mechanics - Computational mechanics
Career Advancement Opportunities in Mechanical Engineering
To advance in your career, you can specialise in mechatronics, materials science, petroleum
engineering, and others; or even take a leadership role like a principal mechanical engineer.
If you are looking forward to building and leading your organisation, you can follow the
standard ladder of promotion.
- Entry-level position- At this point, you will work on simple projects while you go through a formal training process. This will help you understand how the industry works.
- Senior Engineer- Depending on your performance, you can get promoted to a Senior Engineer. This type of promotion usually takes five years of experience in the field. Still, you might qualify sooner if you are highly skilled.
- Supervisor- As a Supervisor, you will have the responsibility of managing a small team of engineers or technicians.
- Manager- This will be a big step in your career path as a mechanical engineer fresher. At this point, you will manage much larger teams, and you will have to organise and look after all the projects for your company.
Is Mechanical Engineering Right for You?
By now, you know almost everything about mechanical engineering; from its
meaning and scope to salaries and industry types. Now, it is time to focus on the
main question- Is this career the right choice for you? This is because, if you do not
like what you pursue, the scope, job opportunities and the future of a specific
industry does not hold much importance.
To help you out with this, we have created a list of questions that will help draw an
- Are you interested in solving problems that can make a real difference?
- Do you look forward to designing new techniques, tools, and machinery?
- Do you enjoy solving complex problems?
- Does working in a traditional office space from 9-5 bore you?
- Do you like work that includes practical, hands-on problems and solutions?
- Do you want to make a career where you can learn and grow?
- Can you work under pressure?
- Do you want a challenging job?
- Do you have skills such as teamwork, interpersonal communication, and creativity?
If you have answered YES to most of the questions above, it is time for you to start
considering a bachelor's program in the best engineering colleges in Chennai and
How to find top Mechanical Engineering Course & College in India
When it comes to choosing a course and course, there is no 'right' or 'wrong' college. Because every college might differ from the other on different parameters, for instance, one might have an industry-relevant curriculum. In contrast, the other might offer value-added certifications. So, it depends entirely on you: what do you want from an engineering college? We have created a list of top factors that can you shortlist the top colleges that suit your requirements.
- Type of degree
- Location (rural or urban)
- Distance from your home
- Government or private
- Fee (tuition, hostel)
- Availability of scholarship
- Campus infrastructure (labs, and libraries)
- Placement companies
- Internships opportunities
- Class size
- Student body (gender, diversity, community)
- Extracurricular activities
- Qualification of faculty
- Placement record
- Alumni connect
These pointers will help ensure you invest your time and money in an engineering college that can prepare you for an advanced career.
Mechanical engineering curriculum
Mechanical engineering is all about mechanics, kinematics, thermodynamics, materials science, structural analysis, and electricity. Again, the curriculum will change depending on your specialization and college. To help you get a basic idea, we have listed down the core concepts in this stream.
- Strength of Materials
- Manufacturing Process
- Fluid Mechanics
- Machine Design
- Heat and Mass Transfer
- Theory of Machines
- IC Engines
- Automobile Engineering
- Power Plant Engineering
- Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
Admission process for Mechanical Engineering
The admission process for most colleges is generic. You need to follow the steps mentioned below to get one step closer to your dream career in mechanical engineering.
- Ensure you meet the eligibility criteria
- Download the application form from the college's website or approach the Admission Cell
- Submit the form with relevant document at the Admission Cell
This is the standard procedure. The admission to this course is based on merit-list or entrance-based. Many colleges select students based on the score in their 10+2 examinations. Some colleges conduct entrance exam along with the personal interview.
Fee structure for Mechanical Engineering
The average fee for B.E. Mechanical Engineering course range anywhere between INR
30,000 to 15 Lacs. Before selecting a college, make sure you it matches your budget or at
least offers financial aid.
Why Choose AVIT Engineering College?
Aarupadai Veedu Institute of Technology (AVIT) is an affiliated institution under the University of Madras. We offer undergraduate and postgraduate programs to help young minds to make the most of their potential, empower them with industry-relevant expertise and skills and mould them for a fulfilling career ahead. As you are interested in making a career in mechanical engineering, you should consider AVIT. Here's why:
- Learn in a sprawling 24.11-acre campus with a built-up area of 5.65 Lakhs sq.ft.
- Get a degree approved by the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) and Council of Architecture (COA), Govt. of India
- Study in NAAC accredited college
- Benefit from our collaboration with international universities such as Arkansas State University, USA, Edinburgh Napier University, UK and more
- Develop interpersonal skills and prepare for campus interviews and job fairs under the guidance of our Career Development & Placement Cell
- Attend frequent guest lectures and seminars by industry leaders
- Chance to work with top companies such as Aegis Global, Apollo, Tech Mahindra, HCL, Hitachi Automotives, etc.
- Pursue value-added certifications and make your resume stand out
- Research, learn, work within our state-of-the-art infrastructure
All in all, do not just dream of a bright future in mechanical engineering but become a part
of AVIT, to make it a reality. From accreditations, industry-relevant curriculum, affordable fee
structure and financial aid to an experienced faculty and a great connect with top
companies, AVIT can almost everything on your checklist.
By now, we have addressed each question you might have about the evergreen branch of engineering. We hope this information will help you get a better understanding of this discipline, its scope, benefits, career prospects, syllabus, fee structure, and why you should pursue it at AVIT. So, are you ready to make the most of this opportunity?
Join AVIT for a life-changing experience
You can learn more about our mechanical engineering courses, and download the application form. We are looking forward to nurturing young minds and helping them become the leaders of tomorrow. Join AVIT, join the best engineering college in Chennai!