INSTITUTION OF ELECTRONICS & TELECOMMUNICATION ENGINEERING
The Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (IETE) is India's leading recognized professional society devoted to the advancement of science and technology of electronics, telecommunication and information technology. Founded in 1953, it serves more than 69,000 members through various centres, numbering 57, spread all over India and abroad. The institution provides leadership in scientific and technical areas of direct importance to national development and the economy. The Government of India has recognized IETE as a Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (SIRO) and also notified it as an educational institution of national eminence. The objectives of IETE focus on advancing electro‐technology. The IETE conducts and sponsors technical meetings, conferences, symposia and exhibitions all over India, publishes technical journals and provides continuing education as well as career advancement opportunities to its members.
The IETE Students Forum (ISF) was inaugurated in Aarupadai Veedu Institute of Technology by Prof. V. S. Sundaramurthy, Honorary Secretary, IETE, Chennai Centre in July, 2007. Aarupadai Veedu Institute of Technology is also an organisational member with 260 student members and 14 faculty members.
Guest Lectures delivered
- "Recent Trends in Mobile Communication" by Prof. V. S. Sundaramurthy, Honorary Secretary, IETE, Chennai Centre in July, 2007.
- "Awareness on GSM/ CDMA Technologies" by Shri. Vincent D'souza, Vice President (Works), HTL Ltd., Chennai in July, 2008.
- "Hardware & Networking" by Shri. G. Harikrishna, Asst. Vice President and Shri. C. Anandkumar, Business Development, Nittany Institute in March, 2009.
- "Digital TV" by Prof. V. S. Sundaramurthy, Chairman, IETE, Chennai Centre in October 2009.
Value Added Course Conducted
- "GSM & CDMA Technologies" for 19 Final Year students at HTL Technical Learning Centre, Guindy, September 2008.
- "2 day Workshop on Robotics" by the Centre for Robotics Research and Development, Chennai in September, 2009. 56 students underwent a hands‐on training at the workshop
Benefits of the IETE Student Forum
All the members of the IETE Students Forum shall receive a copy of the IETE Journal of Education (4 issues per year, about 250 pages) free of charge and also have priority for publishing their papers in this journal. They can also subscribe to other publications of the IETE, viz. the IETE Journal of Research and IETE Tech Review at fifty percent of the subscription rate. They are also welcome to attend all the IETE technical programmes arranged in India at a reduced registration fee. The institutions wherein IETE Students Forum is established shall receive the following benefits:
- A suitable grant to the IETE Forum, commensurate with the membership strength, to conduct the various activities of the forum (@ of Rs 20/‐ per student, per year).
- One complete set of technical publications of the IETE including the IETE Journal of Research, IETE Tech Review, IETE Journal of Education, IETE Newsletter (one copy in each case),conference proceedings, etc.
- Regular interaction with IETE centres in the region and support from IETE corporate members, R&D laboratories, industries, etc in the technical programmes of the forum.
- Possibility of setting up an Electronics Hobby Centre in the institution with industry support.
- Improvement in the quality of students obtaining the degree/ diploma awards and enhancement in their employment potential.
- To organize the activities of ISF and / or with the IETE Local / Sub‐Centre, prizes for quiz and paper reading competitions, organizing inter‐college functions at the level of Local Centres, visits to various engineering colleges/ institutions and organizing joint activities.
- An annual function in each IETE Students' Forum is to be organized, for which a special grant could be considered.
- In addition, annual quiz and essay competition, national or zonal technical paper contest for the students to be organized at the time of the Mid‐term Symposium and Annual Technical Convention in whichever centre the functions are organized.
- Students will be given a reduction in the amount paid at the time of ISF for becoming an Associate Member of IETE.